Aug 29, 2007
Medium Shit Poppin'
I'd like to be able to say that my absence was, say, to let some rap news pile up. Truth is, end of the summer burnout hit me hard.

But there are a few things I would like to mention here before I take my leave for the evening.

I'm anxiously awaiting more news on the Kanye/Lupe/Pharrell supergroup, and somewhat distraught over Lupe's desire to leave the rap game.

Unfortunately, out of the big Chicago releases this year, I find myself with little interest in Common's new effort, especially considering the lukewarm reception and the shitty video for "Drivin' Me Wild". Though Rhymefest garnered my best album of 2006 nod and my Lupe Fiasco enthusiasm was unrivaled last summer, Kanye's album is the one that sounds most promising. It's a little unfortunate, really. I'd hoped that Kanye would be the old standard that I underestimate and sneaks up on me, while the Rhymefest and Lupe efforts are the standouts that I look forward to with bated breath all through the fall months. That's not so much the case - Food & Liquor was a disappointment. Don't get me wrong, it was a great album, but I expected it to be my 2006 soundtrack. There weren't enough fantastic tracks on the record, it was a bit too laid back for me. It was thoroughly outdone on all counts by Blue Collar. Rhymefest's next album, on the other hand, well. The stuff he's been releasing on his myspace hasn't been my cup of tea thusfar. But alternately, he got me pretty fuckin' excited at his Lollapalooza show, and Wikipedia is claiming (without sources) that he's got Kanye rapping on three tracks, one featuring Lupe an done featuring Common, and producing four more. Lupe similarly excited at the Lollapalooza gig. But for now, the Presidents and Rap offices are continuously abuzz over Graduation - how good will it be? Will it be perfect?

Meanwhile, you might have heard 50 Cent is retiring?

I hope not. He's a tool and a huge douchebag, but I still like the guy. He's a talented rapper, and I think the Kanye/50 rivalry is going to sell a LOT of records. Until they inevitably do a record together. Or one shoots the other.

And speaking of, y'all hear about this Madison Square Garden show? Holy heck, what I would have given to be there. 50 Cent, Kanye, Diddy, Jay-Z, T.I., and Ciara on one stage at the same time. I think the best take comes from whudat





Of course the chorus line. T.I. was somewhere on that stage



There he is


Excellent.

Labels: , , , , , ,